Click here to be taken to the online Volunteer Registration Form
Who makes a good Buddy?
Miracle League Buddies are volunteers ranging in age from elementary school to senior citizens. These include family members and local youth and civic groups. Though we call them Buddies, many people refer to the volunteers as Angels in the Outfield.
Being a Buddy is a commitment to a group of highly deserving individuals in an area that many have never had an opportunity to participate in before. It is a commitment to a team, a player and the community that is reaching out to support their needs.
Being a Buddy is also a rewarding experience. By assisting a player, a Buddy will have the opportunity to learn about a special player and help him or her achieve a sense of accomplishment and enjoy baseball. The Buddy system pairs each player with a Buddy to assist them on and off the field.
Buddies must be at least 12 years of age to participate in this program and must complete a brief training program prior to assisting a player.
Buddy duties will vary from full assistance for a player who may have severe mobility problems to offering guidance to players who can walk, run and perform many physical actions. Buddies may also assist players who do not have the mental or retentive ability to follow the rules of the game.
Buddies can be fellow schoolmates, college or high school students, athletes, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts or any individual or group who wishes to volunteer their time to give the child the gift of baseball and a smile that touches us all.
Buddies are expected to attend all of their team’s scheduled games, as well as the above-mentioned training session and a “get-acquainted” session prior to the start of the season. Buddies can share responsibilities with another buddy if they know they will not be able to make all the games. If something comes up and a Buddy cannot attend a game, they will be expected to notify their Buddy Leader.
Buddies will randomly be assigned teams unless otherwise requested (see Volunteer Registration form for more information).
Buddy Leaders will be assigned to each team to coordinate pairing of Buddies with players. In most cases, Buddies will assist the same player throughout the season.
By giving only a few hours of your time not only will you make a difference in a special child’s life, but you will also create a positive awareness in yourself. For questions, please contact Sharon Ferro 815-258-3799. Thank you for your interest and support in this valuable community service project.
- Safety First
- Playing Baseball and Having Fun
• To protect the Miracle League player at all times.
• When hard hitter is up to bat, Buddies are to step in front of Miracle League player for protection.
• Always allow the Miracle League player as much freedom as possible to play his/her own game.
• Assist Miracle League player according to their needs.
• Be of good spirit with enthusiasm, good attitude and concern in motivating the players and their families.
• Become their friend; get to know the players and their families.
• Arrive at field 15 minutes prior to game time.
• Be properly dressed in Buddies shirt.
• Demonstrates high morals and integrity on and off the field.